Inception of NCC:
The NCC has its genesis in the "university Corps", which was created under the Indian Defence Act, 1917 with the objective to train students for the Army. In 1920, when the Indian Territorial Act was passed, the "University Corps"was replaced by the "University Training Corps"9UTC). In 1942, a committee was set up under HN Kunzru for establishment of a nation-wide youth organization covering both schools and colleges. Consequently, the "National Cadet Corps"(NCC) came into existence on 15th July 1948 under National Cadet Corps Act (No: XXXI of 1948) enacted by the Parliament. The Girls Division was introduced in 1949. To start with, only army NCC units were there. Air Force and Naval NCC units followed soon in 1950 and 1952 respectively. This voluntary youth organization, which was started with 20,000 cadets, is today probably the largest uniformed youth organization in the world with 13 lakh cadets (boys and girls). The NCC Headquarters is located in New Delhi. Control and co-ordination are exercised through 17 State Directorates.